Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Real Austrians

So now that I have been living in Austria for over 5 months (going on 6), I have decided that it is about time that I learn more about the true Austrian culture, the Austrian people, the Austrian way of life, and, well, the Austrian language of German minus the Austrian dialect. Tonight I had dinner with a couple of Austrians. We had some delicious vegetable soup (gemüsezuppe), salad, and red wine. After all, what meal in Europe is not complete without red wine?
We watched one of the first events of the Olympics so far, the ski jumping. I made a comment about the Finnish being good ski jumpers, only to be reminded that the Austrians were better. I learned probably the most important phrases that should come in handy when attempting to learn German, such as "Bitte noch ein mal" and "Bitte sprechen Sie langsamer" (meaning please one more time, and please speak slower). These will probably become signature phrases in the language of Megan.
Well that's all for now. Going to meet more of the exchangers today (walk to a Chinese restaurant or something).

No comments:

Post a Comment