I had my first cup of black coffee on my way to Memphis. I guess you could say that I'm on my way to becoming a regular coffee or "kaffee" (in German) junkie. When we arrived in New York, the four of us headed to the baggage claim where we waited for our ride. Within 15 minutes, Maria & Claudio (relatives of Nicole's) had arrived with a cute little hand-written sign with our names on it. Somehow we miraculously managed to stuff our numerous bags into the back of a Honda Odyssey before embarking on a quick van tour of the city.
Here's a picture of Nicole, Marcie & Cory with all of our monstrous bags! ahhh
I was amazed at how many people were walking along the streets, especially compared to downtown Wichita. Not only were there oodles & oodles of people, but the majority of them were sporting super trendy clothes. After passing through the Bronx, Queens & Brooklyn, we finally arrived at the home of our host family in Newark, NJ. The historic home had a lot of character; one of the bathrooms was decorated with New Yorker magazine covers. After a couple of hours relaxing and planning for the next day in the Big Apple, Maria & Claudio treated us to a delightful meal. As the family is from Colombia, fresh fruit is a cultural jem. We enjoyed a heaping plateful of luscious & juicy mango, papaya, strawberries and watermelon...yum! We also enjoyed kabobs, burgers, rice, and Colombian coffee (here I go with the coffee again!) Maria and Claudio are the sweetest people on earth. After dinner, Claudio was kind enough to drive us to the Liberty State Park in Jersey City to see the Manhattan skyline. I didn't realize that New Jersey and New York were so close together, only separated by the Hudson River! We got a great view of the Statue's backside as well as Ellis Island, not to mention a gorgeous sunset and a crescent moon. Well I have to get up in five hours so bye for now! Guten Abend! (Good evening!)

No comments:
Post a Comment